Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Follow Mercy's Lead

I was blessed Sunday with my first opportunity to preach since we arrived at Reidland eight weeks ago. It's always a humbling experience to be used as a mouthpiece for the heart of God. At least the hope is that His words become mine and His heart pours forth in the words I speak. I shared about Jesus calling Matthew to follow him and the subsequent feasting at Matthew's house with tax collectors and sinners (Matt. 9). I attempted to convey that Jesus exemplified a life of mercy and he calls us to be transformed into a people of mercy so that daily we choose to "follow mercy's lead." The difficulty is that many times for us this is a whole new way to live. This is new wine for new wineskins and sometimes the message of mercy can be intimidating to us. Here is a section of the sermon I found to be powerful for me...

Yet once again I hear the words of that pesky Paul and I get a little queasy to my stomach when he says “Follow me as I follow Christ” because I’m instantly reminded of Jesus’ own radically life-changing words, “Whoever comes after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” Sometimes I’m not sure if I’m ready to do that because deep down I have at least a small inkling of where mercy might lead—I can’t help but remember I’ve seen glimpses before, because:

When Mercy Leads…a woman at the well, an outsider cast to the outskirts of meaningful society tastes the sweetness of her own humanity again.

When Mercy Leads…stones hit the ground as a woman condemned in the eyes of many now stands in the freedom of the broken shackles of her scarlet past.

When Mercy Leads…a man resigned to a life of leprosy unfamiliar with even the closeness of a 10-foot pole feels the tender touch of healing and acceptance

When Mercy Leads…a table is prepared with the finest feast and the host eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners for all are welcomed in the presence of Jesus


Maybe you see why I’m a little hesitant today to follow Matthew and Paul as they follow Christ, maybe you’re feeling a little hesitant too. For if we choose to leave the bubble of our comfortable booth to follow this journey defined by mercy we might very well find ourselves in places we have never been. If you envision those brand new garments as pearly white robes don’t get your hopes up because it is highly probable that on this path we will get more dirty than we originally anticipated. For this is a road less traveled and many turn back when they see the sign…Warning, comfort zones will be shattered! Our only choice is whether or not to follow because in choosing to, the once seemingly simple choice quickly becomes intense command. In fact, compared to this radical way of life Jesus calls us to the booth might feel all the more comfortable because it’s where we’ve always been, it’s what we’re used to, it’s where we’re in control, but together by the power of the Spirit within us I believe we can pursue this kind of Christ-life.

When we follow mercy's lead we are led to welcome all people to recline at the table and enjoy the feast! Praise God. May mercy lead...

No comments: