Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Remembering Never to Forget Grandpa

What a crazy last week! It's hard to imagine it being much crazier but I'm sure it's always possible. You expect to lose grandparents at some point but I never thought Sara and I would each lose one at the same time. I will probably write more about this over time but here is what I was able to share at my grandpa's funeral...


READ Psalm 24:1-6

I feel like I shouldn’t begin without greeting and hugging each of you because that’s how grandpa would have done it. But I guess we’ll have to save it for afterward. Just two short years ago I stood in this same place, in the same week and shared how we would forever remember grandma or to many of you Dorothy (Dot) Darling. And now in some ways what seems like just a few days later I want to share a few things about Richard (Dick) Darling or grandpa, I want to remember never to forget.

I use that phrase “remember never to forget” on purpose. I have a hard time remembering things. At times it seems like I have one of the worst memories in the world. I forget items on the grocery list. I forget where I last placed my keys. Sometimes I can’t remember people’s names. At times I forget to complete my “honey-do” list. Other times I can even forget where I parked my car. It can become especially frustrating when I want to remember things from earlier in life.

Yesterday we sat around and shared stories involving grandpa. As others shared I was reminded of my own memories because with grandpa there was a lot to remember. I remember quick trips to the store…a pantry full of sweets and cookies. I remember watching him work in the yard, and on the house, and on anything else he could get his hands on. He was always working away at something. He was hardly ever standing still. I remember stories upon stories. Richard was a great story-teller and never afraid to tell stories on himself. I remember how he loved grandma…how he was so sweet to her whatever the situation. I remember that in many ways Grandpa was an unintentional babe-magnet. He was a looker when he was young but he only got more adorable with age. Everybody thought so and he was always surrounded by a group of people. He also made a positive impression on everyone he met. On Wednesday I was talking with my brother-in-law about coming down here for the funeral and he mentioned that he remembered Richard after meeting him five years ago at our wedding and that in that short time positively impacted his life. That was grandpa!

I want to “remember never to forget.” I have to be intentional about what I remember or else something will slip my mind. Because of that I’m reminded about Israel as God’s people. God constantly called them to “remember not to forget” because it was easy for them to become a forgetful people. He wanted them to remember how he had delivered them from slavery, from the hand of the Egyptians. To remember that it was by his power alone that they were where and who they were. To remember how he had forever changed their lives. They were intentional about remembering through their telling of stories, through their continual sharing of memories. It was these memories, these stories that pointed them to, and reminded them of, the work God was doing in their lives.

Stories about grandma and grandpa are part of what will accomplish that in my life. They remind me of how God has worked before me, through me and will continue to work long after me. And it is stories of the way he lived that I believe will continue to shape me. One of the many things I love and admire about grandpa was his desire to greet everyone. He was passionate about making people feel welcome and he took that role in the body of Christ seriously. Richard also never knew a stranger! He befriended all people no matter the age, race, or economic status…his neighbors, those who worked in the offices/stores he visited, and every person that entered one of the doors of this building. I remember two years ago at grandma’s visitation one of the waitresses at the local IHOP came to comfort grandpa because of the impact he had on her throughout the many times they ate in her restaurant. That’s a testimony to who he was and how he lived. One day when my wife and I have kids of our own, those are the things I want them to know and remember not to forget about their great grandpa!

READ 2 Corinthians 4:13-5:10

I don’t think grandpa is groaning anymore and I’m pretty confident he’s enjoying his new clothes! He is away from the body, but at home with the Lord.

I just ask one more thing…if you have ever received a smile, a handshake, and a hug of welcome from Richard Darling would you please stand and remain standing as I conclude… (for those of you reading...close to two hundred people were in attendance and they all stood up!)

Grandpa…thank you for the life you lived. Thank you for how you loved all people, how you loved your family, and how you loved grandma. Thank you for the legacy you leave for all who come behind you. You may have changed locations but I’m sure we know where to expect you…at the “doors” to God’s presence welcoming all who enter. And I look forward to the smile, handshake and hug of welcome I will receive whenever my time comes to join you in the presence of God.

2 comments:

MichaelPolutta said...

Mike, I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm very glad that you have the legacy you've been given. God bless!
mp

Nicole said...

I don't know what to say, other than I'm sorry. Even knowing that someday it will happen, never makes it any easier. You guys are in my prayers as you try to figure out what to do with the void.