Wednesday, April 07, 2004

In My Weakness...

He is STRONG!

I've been volunteering one day a week with the H.E.R.O. program which is a rehabilitation program involving the use of horses. I work with two young boys, one is 4 or 5 and the other is 7. Both boys experience some form of autism and my time with them has compelled me to reflect on the lives of the "weak." I can't help but wonder what life is like for those with mental disabilities such as autism. At first glance it would seem that kind of life would be miserable. It rules your life forcing you to adapt to its fluxuating whims. A chronic illness not only wears on the bearer of the illness but on the family surrounding that individual. I would assume if they had a choice they would choose to lead a "normal, healthy life." Yet, there is joy. Joy which springs forth from broken cisterns. You can see it in their eyes...and in their infectious smiles! Somehow it seems they know the truth that...

In their weakness...He is strong!

I know how they feel...I know life isn't always a celebration. Though I don't live with a mental or cognitive disability, I do live with a physical one. I know what its like to live most days in pain. Medical treatment can only help so much. Arthritis controls my life...at least to an extent, it impacts the way in which I live. Sure, there are times when I question why. There are points when weakness challenges my faith. There are days when I wish I had a choice in the matter. But, though the darkness may last for the night, joy comes in the morning!

In my weakness...I remember He is strong!

However, it is not just people like these boys or myself who experience lives of disability. No, the reality is that we all find ourselves to be broken vessels. We all are weak in many different ways. The beauty of the mystery is that His power is made perfect in our weakness! God takes the simple things of this world, that which is considered to be weak and with His strength works through them for His glory! What might be considered one man's "trash," in the hands of God becomes "treasure!" I may be a "broken cistern" but this cistern will spring forth with joy for in my weakness, I am strong when I am in the hand of my Creator! I will boast in Him alone!

Praise God whose power is made perfect in my weakness! May the "broken cisterns" of the world say so!

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." --I Corinthians 1:25-31


I came across a manuscript by Leonard Sweet along the same lines. It is worth the read if you would like to. Here is the link -- "Trash Cans or Treasure Chests" Enjoy!


No comments: