Wednesday, February 20, 2008

You Are What You Shampoo...

Winterfest really ended up being a wonderful weekend! Although often it doesn't feel wonderful to me. I think it is because the ultimate responsibility for 54 people falls on my shoulders. I find myself constantly concerned about various teens, about making sure people are in the right place (and not lost), about safety, about schedules, and about everyone's enjoyment of a weekend trip. I still am able to have fun but I'm a little on edge most of the weekend with a heightened sense of awareness and responsibility. I am grateful to both my chaperones (who were wonderful) and my teenagers (who are always respectful, responsible and well-behaved) for another memorable Wintefest!

Once we arrive home though I feel like I can finally breathe. I can feel the burden removing itself from my shoulders. Sara and I made sure everyone had a ride home from the building and then it was time to head over to the kennel to pick up Topaz. When we got him in the car it didn't take long to realize he smelled awful. So it was decided that as soon as we got home Topaz was receiving a bath.

We got him into the bathtub and began looking for the dog shampoo. It wasn't in its usual place on the back edge of the tub. We quickly found it though on the upper shelf in the shower. Hmm...odd place for it...we don't usually put it up there. Then we remembered that we had guests stay with us last week who were without power at their own house. Sara and I both burst out in guilty laughter. Turns out our friend Kevin mistook the dog shampoo for one typically best suited for humans. I thought I noticed him itching a little more the last couple days.

Needless to say it was a good way to release the stresses of a long weekend! And of course, when I saw Kevin yesterday, I made sure to bark a little! He was less than thrilled, but his bark is worse than his bite...

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've scheduled him for a flea dip and we're in the process of installing invisible fencing. The transformation is almost complete.

Sara said...

That was sooo funny. We both needed a good laugh like that that night! At least that shampoo smells good!

Sara said...

So that explains Philip's strange urge to scratch him behind his ears at church tonight.

Lesli said...

Hey, maybe we can take Kevin & my dad to the dog park to play! My dad ate dog cookies at Christmas & didn't even know it!! It was quite funny when we all realized what he had done!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That made me laugh really hard, and I'm in the library so people are turning and staring now...haha. I LOVE my brother! Please harass him about this a lot for me!

Maybe this explains why he bites me all the time...

janjanmom said...

Topaz has his own bathroom complete with shampoo. I am slightly jealous. At least you have taught him to share with friends.

Love that kennel smell!