Friday, February 22, 2008

Why I Love Hotel Baptistries

When it comes to enjoying hotels I have two things working against me:

1) I'm a home-body. I like being in my own home, in my own room, in my own bed, etc.

2) I worked at a hotel for a little over two years and had about all I could take of a lifetime's worth of hotel experiences

But even I can admit that hotels can be nice from time to time. Especially when they have certain amenities. In most cases I like to have my ESPN. I prefer places that have FREE wireless internet access. Some of the nicest places I've stayed charge a fortune for using the internet. But I like the nicer places because they usually have quality mattresses and some of the best pillows I've ever allowed head to rest. But one of the amenities I have come to value the most, especially when it comes to youth trips, is a quality baptistry...or an indoor pool to most of you!

This weekend at Winterfest we were privileged to participate in another baptism. There is something so special and sacred about friends and family going into the waters together and surrounding the person who is about to be buried with Christ and raised to new life. Those who chose not to get into the pool gathered around its edges and witnessed the amazing transformation of choosing to live the Christ-life. In some ways it's the closest thing I've been able to experience that hints at what it must have been like for believers in Acts.

Maybe I'm bias to baptisms in pool contexts. After all I grew up in Florida and our mindset was... who needs baptistries when everyone's got a pool. I know it's not any less meaningful but somehow it doesn't proclaim the same message when we do it in the small "bathtub" baptistries. When everyone is in the water together there is beauty in the expression of community. It communicates on a whole other level that we as fellow believers are here to walk beside you, to share in your death, and to rejoice in your new life! It's hard really to even explain it adequately in words...but I believe it's a sacred moment that leaves God's fingerprints upon all our lives.

There weren't thousands of us, just 54. It wasn't Jerusalem at Pentecost, just the Ramada Inn at Winterfest. There wasn't a special formula or magical words on our part, but at least for those few moments...that hotel couldn't have been any more holy!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Amen and amen. God apparently uses your keyboard the same way He uses your mouth, and I never cease to be amazed . . . well said, Michael.

Josh Ross said...

That is awesome.

Didn't know you were blogging.

Miss you, brother

Nicole said...

I am still a sucker for pool baptisms, granted they aren't too common in Tennessee...which is really close to Kentucky...which means you really should come visit me...