Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Follies and I Can't Get Up

Slow blog time for me lately. The main reason...my brain, legs, arms and voice are tired. For the past two months I've been involved in a musical performance called the Charity League Follies. It's a fund-raiser they do every few years to benefit the Easter Seals program in town. I've been singing, dancing, and learning my lines and I'm about ready for this whole "out of my box" experience to be completed. I've enjoyed parts of it and I hope the actual performance will be fun. But, so much of it has been stressful, overwhelming and time-consuming. We've had Dress Rehearsals all this week and they will continue tonight and tomorrow with the live show on Saturday night. I have fun on stage but I have to take the long road to getting comfortable and confident in order to do so. We'll see...

Sara's dad came in for a "brief" visit last week and one of the things he was trying to do while he was here was sell one of his bird dogs to a guy in Tennessee. Well, Dennis had to leave early so I had to complete the sale and drop-off the dog. This dog is the son of a Grand Champion and so just his name and that fact alone get a lot of people interested in him. He is a very well-trained animal or so I've been told. Because I learned while watching him for a day that it doesn't matter how well-trained a hunting dog (or any dog for that matter) is if you don't know the right commands. Let's just say I learned rather quickly that he doesn't respond real well to "Come back Copper!" I guess I got a little exercise out of the deal though.

Then I met the "buyer" at Cracker Barrel in Calvert City. The funny thing was some people from church saw me there, in a different vehicle (a truck), with a dog they had never seen before and I was passing this dog off to another truck next to me and receiving something in return. When they came up to say hello and ask what was going on I immediately started to think about the rumor possibilities..."in order to make ends meet, local minister dabbles in dog-dealing on the side!" Just another example that often in life, there can be more to circumstances than what meets the eye...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

"I Follies and I Can't Get Up!" - best blog title ever!

Based on my brief Wednesday-night-dress-rehearsal-preview, you have no reason to be nervous, nor are you "out of your box" but I think "right in your element!" JUST HAVE FUN! The rest of us will be entertained just watching you dance in your hippie costume!

(For a glimpse of hippie Mikey:
http://reidlandsteph.blogspot.com/search?q= )

Stephanie said...

You Follied and Survived! Whoo hoo - GREAT JOB!