Friday, March 07, 2008

The Full Mickey Transformation is Complete

We had a wonderful time on our cruise. It was great to get away for even just a little bit. And the experience on the ship was so much better than I expected. There were plenty of things to do like shows, performances, karaoke, games, swimming, eating and sleeping. For some reason the gentle swaying of the ship throughout the night made sleeping incredible. Best sleep we've gotten in a while. Nassau wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was a little too touristy for our tastes although it was good to say I've been there and experienced it. Castaway Cay, Disney's own private island in the Bahamas is the place we really enjoyed. It was what I imagined a tropical island experience to be like. Sara and I laid out on beach chairs relaxing and reading books for most of the day just staring out at the beautiful clear blue waters. It was great!

My favorite exchange of the trip came when we were inching our way through the Straw Market in Nassau. It's kind of like a flea market type atmosphere. Everybody's got something to sell you. As you walk down the crowded isles women will be calling out "let's make a deal." One lady got even more persistent with a female tourist. She really wanted to make a sale. She held up a custom-designed tank-top dress kind of thing (obviously hard for me to explain) and said to the lady..."Don't you like this? You want to buy it? It's your size." The tourist responded by saying "how do you know my size?" And the woman countered by saying, "It's 3X." Not exactly the marketing approach I would choose. Well this woman tourist is shocked by this other woman's words. "What are you trying to say? I'm not that big?" This is where it gets classic. To sweep in and close the sale she proclaims, "honey, you're not fat...you're just fluffy!" Well let's just say a business transaction never took place.

The whole trip was a great experience. Until I woke up Sunday morning. The last day of the cruise. I often joke around doing the voice for Mickey Mouse and I think I can do it alright. Well by Sunday morning the whole Disney experience wanted me to leave as Mickey Mouse. I didn't have a normal voice. The only way I could talk was in a very high-pitched falsetto. It was pretty funny. However, what followed wasn't so funny. The full Mickey transformation from a Disney saturated weekend was just the beginning of my next sickness episode. Ever since we got back late Sunday night I've either been in bed or in the recliner in the living room miserable with something bordering on the flu. Today is the first day I actually felt like I might be able to make it to work for a little bit.

I think in the future I'd prefer to just stick to impersonating the mouse. And leave it at that.

4 comments:

Sara said...

You described the experience to a "T." I would rather not follow it up with sickness though!

Hope you are back to 100% soon!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

fluff-y: having little or no intellectual weight . . . there's a pun there somewhere! That story is hysterical.


I'm with Sara on your sickness! Eight days without you at the office has been highly irregular and UNfun . . . Kevie and I have missed you!

Anonymous said...

Crazy ridiculous! You should stop being sick!!

Glad you guys had fun, but I am still SO jealous of the cruise!