Friday, April 18, 2008

Shake, Shake, Shake...

4:36AM. To the best of my knowledge...sleeping and more sleeping. 4:37AM. Wide Awake. The reason...the house was shaking! A lot of things instantly run through your mind when you are stirred awake from a deep sleep to find the house moving more than you are used to. (Thought #1) "Alright, who's playing the prank on us this time?!" Only to roll over and see the iridescent glow of the clock suggesting sure hibernation time. This is no prank. Hmm... (Thought #2) "Well...it must really be storming outside! The wind must be blowing like crazy." Only to peek out the window blinds to see the trees standing statue still. What's going on? (Sara's response as she too woke up) I'm not sure actually.

At most 20 seconds passed. The shaking stopped. Sleep was stronger than my curiosity. My eyes closed with the fleeting thought(#3)...was that an earthquake?!?

Somewhere around 7:02AM. Sara wakes to a text asking, "Did you feel the earthquake?" 7:03AM. She wakes me up proclaiming..."Mike it was an earthquake!" Really, I wondered if that's what it was! She quickly replies, "No you didn't!" Seriously, I did...even though I've never experienced one before what else could it have been. She of course hadn't read my thoughts at 4:37AM during which I logically concluded the only possible outcome...earthquake.

Earthquake!?! It wasn't much. It wasn't very long. But it was still disorienting, even unsettling. For the earth to shift miles and miles away from us but still feel it simultaneously...wow...there's some power that's hard to fathom. To think about its potential makes you feel weak, small, and unprepared.

Next time I'll be ready for it...that is if I'm not sleeping...

Actually the more I think about it the more I realize I'd rather not have the opportunity to experience a next time!

3 comments:

janjanmom said...

Aaawwww SHUCKS!! I was hoping for a post about KC and the Sunshine!!

Stephanie said...

Actually, I texted Sara at 4:44 a.m. Some of us thought the earthquake was cooler than getting right back to SNOOZELAND!

Sara said...

You need to make an addendum. We had that conversation at 4:38 this morning when Steph and I texted back and forth a few times. My mom was the one that texted at 6:30when she saw it on the news. Please let the record reflect this!