Monday, May 24, 2004

The Warranty Way

Up until this past Saturday my faith in "warranties" was deteriorating. In fact, I was beginning to hate warranties. Let me explain. Over the last year we have been battling with a certain company (cough, Best Buy, cough) over the consistently worsening condition of Sara's laptop. We have had to take the computer in four times in the last 8-9 months because it would not work properly for various and complicated reasons. Normally, even though it is frustrating, it would not be as big of a deal except that the closest store to us is located in Fort Worth (translation: 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive, one-way each time). Every time it was sent off, it would return with the same results--some seemingly non-important parts replaced followed by the suggestion to restore the settings. So with hopeful expectations we returned home only to find the same problems plus additional technical headaches non-existant before we sent it off in the first place. Go figure. So, since the problem could not be solved, it meant yet another joyous adventure east on I-20 toward Dallas.

Fast forward to Saturday which was a mere six visits later, and you could imagine my cynical attitude as we walked into the store to pick up our little patient once more. I mean, what's the point of a warranty if it can never be exercised to the consumer's advantage? However, by the time we walked out of the store my cynicism faded because the amazing had just happened. In my hands I held the receipt to a brand new laptop computer to replace the old one still under the three year warranty. Not only did we have a new computer but it was better, faster, and stronger than the old one. And, to top it all off, there was a hundred dollar rebate with this new computer that we received for free as well. Talk about a deal. Even though we went through multiple headaches, frustrations, and miles, I guess you could say I quickly renewed my commitment to the warranty way. Finally, a victory for the "average joe" consumer.

Needless to say, some of the first words out of my mouth were, "Where do I sign for a new three-year warranty?"

Did I mention I love warranties?

Ps (The only unfortunate aspect to all of this is that it diminishes my chances of getting an ibook anytime time soon. But don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, Mike. I guess this is HP's/Microsoft's/Bill Gates' way of keeping you from crossing over into the light.