Monday, March 15, 2004

Confessions of a Journeying Sinner

I guess this is as good a place as any for (in all likelihood) one of many confessions to come...

Last week Sara and I were visiting another congregation and I guess you could say that I wasn't very pleased with the experience. The singing was a little off, the preacher may have had better days, and I perceived an overall feeling of disconnectedness. I didn't leave feeling uplifted or encouraged. Basically, I left an unsatisfied customer.

At the time I felt justified in my assessment...but...then came this Sunday.

Yesterday, I didn't even have time to build up the bomb shelter around my spirit before Mike Cope's heart-seeking missles began exploding at the doorstep to my heart. There wasn't a sermon for me to critique but instead (as he described) a gentle whisper reminding me of the appropriate mindset and attitude for participation in worship. As I listened I realized that this was a message I needed to hear. Once again I found myself consumed in the absorbing force of our "Consumer-Oriented" culture.

Our culture encourages the consumer mindset to "have it your way." You have the right to do what you want, be what you want, and go to whatever church makes you happy. And, as Mike so gracefully explained, this consumer-minded culture is sucking the very life out of our churches. That is exactly what I was guilty of. I was unhappy and frustrated because I left feeling unsatisfied.

There must be something greater involved when the body of Christ gathers together to worship. There must be a deeper meaning and purpose for our communal assemblies than me, myself, and I leaving satisfied because "worship" met my own needs. I am thankful that the journey does not revolve around my ability as a sinner to be right or wrong but around the fact that this sinner, because of what God has done through Christ, can live as a redeemed saint!

I pray we can all realize the importance of avoiding a consumer mindset in worship and strive to be the body of Christ as God intended! God, whether within our communal assemblies or within our daily lives help us to better understand that worship involves a much broader context.

May we all live..........For His Glory!


No comments: