Sunday, March 14, 2004

Wild, Wild West...Texas that is

It's been another interesting if not exciting weekend as can only be experienced in the dusty plains of West Texas. Friday night a few of us got together to play yet another riveting and humorous round of cards. Once again, my partner Andy and I came out on the losing end. We are getting pretty used to losing to our wives. What a humbling (and somewhat frustrating) experience! :-) At least my abs were still able to get a workout as we laughed together for a majority of the 3 hour losing cause. Laughter truly is the best medicine!

However, Friday was only the beginning of what West Texans call "fun." On Saturday we went with some friends to the Rattlesnake Round-up! Basically, it is a festival surrounding the capture of over 6,000 pounds of rattlesnakes. Certain (crazy) people round up these snakes because each year there is an excess of snakes to the extent that it could become dangerous to not do something about it. It is also necessary to collect venom from the snakes in order to develop the anti-venom in the event of snake bites. So I guess it could be considered both entertainment and educational!

There were different booths for snake exhibits of all kinds. You could watch them milk the venom, weigh and measure the snakes and even skin them. You could purchase stuffed snakes, the skin of snakes, snake tails, and if you so choose, eat fried snake. Sara and I tried very small pieces of rattlesnake and will never be the same because of it. :-) Actually, it was very tough, didn't have much flavor, was full of tiny bones, and unfortunately, as cliche as it sounds, can only be compared to something like chicken. Overall, it was a once in a lifetime experience of "West-Texas Culture." In other words, I now can say I have at least experienced it once and most likely only once. Although I am very appreciative of and thankful for the (crazy) people who round up so many dangerous rattlesnakes. I guess somebody has to do it...I'm just glad it's not me!

I know it might sound unusual but believe it or not this is just another day in the lives of those who choose to live in the dusty plains of West Texas.

As a side note...Congratulations to the Lipscomb girls basketball team (my alma-mater) for winning the Atlantic Sun Tournament and making it to the "Big-Dance" their first year in the Div. I Atlantic Sun. Good luck against Vanderbilt!

Grace and Peace until we meet again...

No comments: