Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Can You Feel the Heat?

Another scorching day in West Texas. According to some it was the second day in a row of 100 degree weather. All I know is that it sure felt like it. One thing I do not miss about living in Florida is the humidity. I don't miss walking outside only to return within seconds dripping in sweat. Yes, it is hot here in Abilene but I can appreciate dry heat. Here, unlike Florida, you can retreat to the shade and escape the unbearable heat of the sun. In Florida, if the temperature is 98 degrees in the sun you might be lucky to find a reprieve of 97 degrees in the shade. Well, no matter the discrepancies the evidence is clear...summer is here.

Today, Sara and I helped the mother of a couple in our small group, move in. She moved to Abilene from California. I hope she is prepared for culture shock. We started about 8:30 and finished within two hours which I believe was quite a feat. Thankfully, the heat withheld the devastating force of its wrath until after noon when we were already experiencing the benefits of one of my favorite inventions: the a/c. However, no rest for the weary--soon after we were back to work earning the "big bucks."

For dinner we got to enjoy the company of some of our closest friends as we fellowshipped over a feast of hamburgers and tortilla chips. What a blessing that God created us to share in relationship with each other.

Then it was off to Highland to receive an encouraging message on being empowered to witness because of the Spirit within us. After our time of worship, Sara and I went to the elders meeting. We had decided to place membership at Highland and take steps to get involved in ministry opportunities so this meeting was a chance to be introduced to the elders. The meeting provided yet another blessing as the elders prayed over us before we left. I only hope I may be fortunate enough to work with a church in the future who has leadership as dedicated to imitating Christ and glorifying God as the people here at Highland. We look forward to being a part of this family.

Even after such an affirming evening, Sara and I still succumbed to temptation on the way home. We remembered that United was having a sale on Blue Bell ice cream and so we stopped to indulge ourselves. The hardest part for us is choosing a flavor that fancies both our palates. By the way, in light of this most recent indulgence I guess I must include ice cream in the list of God-designed blessings for all of mankind (unless of course you are lactose intolerant).

May God continue to pour out his grace-filled blessings upon us all!

1 comment:

Carol said...

How wonderful that the elders prayed over you. I need to talk to our elders and see if they do that. I know they do pray with people often. Did you see a ministry that sounded interesting where you could get involved? Thanks for blogging! It means so much to me!