Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Just Another Anomaly

For those of you who have waited with baited breath for my return from the great outdoors--here I am. The family reunion was wonderful. We all enjoyed our time together immensely. There was food, fellowship, golfing, boating, tubing, volleyball, more food, games, swimming, a proposal and so much more. We were excited because the proposal came from a great guy named Patrick to Sara's sister, Carlie. It was very sweet. We all look forward to the wedding most likely within the next year. When is the next reunion anyway?

The only downside to this weekend was that I had some apparent flare-up with my arthritis or at least that is what I thought at first. For those who do not know I have battled arthritis now since I was about 9 or 10 years old and this weekend my ankles began to swell uncontrollably. I normally experience swelling all the time but what was different this time was that the swelling would not go down. It only continued to spread to my feet and toes and then up my legs. Finally, after we returned home late Monday night I decided to go into the doctor on Tuesday morning. However, it wasn't surprising that the doctor didn't quite no what to make of it either. After ruling out anything to do with blood circulation or clotting she decided that it must be some form of infection although she cannot explain how or why. She prescribed some antibiotic to combat the infection and a diarhetic to remove the fluid and hopefully reduce the swelling (did I mention I have to go upstairs to use the bathroom in our apartment). Now we play the waiting game which includes my feet elevated above my head while I lay on the couch. I can think of other things I could be doing but I guess I should take advantage of the added rest.

It is easy to wonder why these sorts of things happen to me. There is always something strange going on in my body. Over time I've resigned myself to think that I am just another anomaly. Maybe I'm just special, I don't know. Although I would rather not have to go down this road to prove it each time. You know, I may be an anomaly in more ways than one but the truth is that you are too. We are all created to be special. We are unique in our own ways. Who we are is not only representative of whose we are but also of where we have been (what kind of person we are when we come out on the other end of both joy and adversity). In that sense every person is another anomaly created by God. Even though I may not know why things happen the way they do at least I can rest assured in the promise that He does. May you rest in that promise too.

3 comments:

Sara said...

What an elequent post, honey. You constantly amaze me in your ability to embrace optimism and faith as you battle your arthritis and its complications. You are such an example for me and others around us of what it means to live life joyfully and thankfully. It was so fun for you to be with me at the reunion and to see you get along with everyone so well. I love you!

Carol said...

Dear Anaomaly,
You've been special your whole life -- touched by GOD for his purpose!!! I love to hear that you can still laugh, and am so grateful you have a wife who loves you and encourages you. (Am also thankful as you go up and down to the bathroom for great Siner Parents who put carpet on the stairs.) Watch a funny movie today and laugh, laugh, laugh for laughter is healing to the bones (and skin)...and rejoice in HIM who is faithful.

Travis said...

Aww, I feel like we are at your rehearsal dinner again. How sweet. I think you are weird too.

I did not know you were bed-ridden, and we are neighbors! But we are house-sitting right now, so we haven't seen you. Please, let us know if you need anything. I'll be glad to help a brother out. Glad you made it back and glad patrick and Carlie are getting married.