Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Radical Hospitality

(The following thoughts spring from an inspiring and challenging message from Randy Harris this past Sunday at Highland)

When I read those words, at first glance I don't exactly picture them together. I had no idea that hospitality could be termed radical. Maybe I haven't connected the two words because it is easier to have a much more limited understanding of the word hospitality in order to place it nice and neatly within my own comfort zone box. It might be that adding the word radical simply serves to confront me with the idea that there is deeper meaning behind hospitality than I have ever dared to realize.

I grew up in a white, middle-class, churched family where hospitality involved having people over in your home whether it be for a meal, or just for the simple pleasure of fun and fellowship. All in all, I believe my parents did a good job of instilling in me an appropriate desire for hospitality and the importance for incorporating it into my life. But then I read the words, Radical Hospitality, and once again I find myself confused. What's so radical about hospitality?

We live in a dangerous world. We can't pretend to ignore that reality. On a daily basis we must face the possibility of encountering "monsters" (as Randy termed it) of all different shapes and sizes. In all likelihood, we will be hurt in one way or another as we encounter these "monsters" but, in line with our normal tendencies, is the answer to shelter ourselves from these experiences? I don't believe so. I think this is where the word radical comes into play. The ministry of Jesus provides us with an image of Radical Hospitality which blows away any previous misconceptions of the words. He lived and walked among the sick, the poor, the unclean, the marginalized and the sinner proclaiming the message of the Kingdom of God, not only in the form of words but also exemplified in a life of love and compassion for all people.

Therefore, Radical Hospitality is more than sharing time together with people you know and are comfortable with, although that is a part of it. Radical Hospitality extends beyond our comfort zones. It takes seriously the command to go into all the world and share the message of Christ. It means meeting people where they are, no matter who they are. In a world where monsters aren't just make-believe, we must be more hesitant to judge others and more willing to live among them. Granted, we must still be cautious in some respects. This approach doesn't make the world any less dangerous. We are likely to get burned or hurt in our pursuit of this type of hospitality. But Radical Hospitality calls us to move forward in Christ willing to take a risk and remembering that there are people to be loved and lives to be transformed.

Are You Ready To Be Radical?

3 comments:

Carol said...

I got all excited when I saw you were writing about hospitality because in our class yesterday we realized many women don't know how to be hospitable even to their friends, and we decided to teach several classes on hospitality. But now after reading about RADICAL hospitality, I realize God is calling us to so much more!!! Looks like we'll need to add more weeks into that study....

Travis said...

I'm ready to be radical, dude!

Haile Nkrumah Gault said...

Yes ... radical enough to be "as shrewd as serpents and as gentle as doves."