Saturday, June 05, 2004

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

It was supposed to feel like that anyway. At least that's how I envisioned it. You see, I have been looking forward to this particular weekend ever since last summer when a friend of mine told me about a book fair hosted by "Friends of the Abilene Library," and held in June each year. Thursday, I saw an article in the paper proclaiming the "good news" about the over-abundance of books looking for kind and warm shelves of which to call home sweet home and I was reminded of my friend's excited remarks about his previous experience which included six hours with books in one place. Of course, I, being the generous person I am, could not allow such books to be abandoned in such a cruel and heartless manner so Sara and I went to the civic center after work last night in hopes of "adopting" a few.

Now, I too was bubbling over with excitement, like a little school-girl (no offense) or a kid in a candy store as we approached the front doors and I saw row after row of books staring back at me with pouty lips and "puppy-dog" eyes only longing to belong--made to be special once again. I began to scan the sea of literature not sure even of where to begin. I made a bee-line to the religion section prepared to persevere for the long haul. It ended up being more like a kid at the dentist with a cavity from the candy store that once was. I finished looking through the books in about 30 minutes with only one that I even somewhat fancied taking home.

I felt a wave of disappointment come over me but I was determined to not throw in the towel. I moved to other sections--philosophy, marriage, mystery, classics, novels--none of which caught my eye. Six hours? I couldn't stay for six more minutes. I'm not sure what happened. I don't know if last year's fair was better, or if there is just a difference between my friend and I in what we look for in books. Maybe the problem is that I now work for a bookstore and in my short time there I am already very spoiled. Needless to say there are more books than I previously envisioned still left without a home and this kid is still looking for his candy...

I think I had a Snickers bar here somewhwere...

No comments: