Sunday, June 20, 2004

Father's Day

Some simple thoughts on a day in which we give an extra amount of honor and thanks to our fathers:

I am thankful for my dad. We have shared so many great memories together. I remember his involvement in Indian guides when I was younger. I remember his advice when I kept encountering a school bully (although we won't share that advice here). I remember putting up the basketball hoop in the driveway and shooting hoops together. I remember watching basketball games together and him coming to watch mine. I remember the ways in which he displayed love for my mom. I remember the home projects, grilled feasts, and the responsibility of mowing the yard. I remember his example of what it means to be a Christian man, father, and husband. There are more memories than I can count. In all these years nothing has changed--he is still the same great dad he's always been. I hope one day I can follow in his footsteps. In my family relationships, I pray that like my father, I too may glorify God and image Christ and especially in this case, with my future son(s) and/or daughter(s).

God thank you for the blessings of fathers. Thank you that we may call you Abba Father. Even when there are those who do not have good fatherly examples I thank you that we can claim the promise that you are father to the fatherless!

2 comments:

Carol said...

You're making me cry!!!

Travis said...

You have a dad? I never knew! ;-)

Sweet thoughts.