Tuesday, June 08, 2004

A Revelation of Clearer Vision

This week I have been taking a week intensive course in Revelation with Dr. Ian Fair and I believe all this talk about Apocalyptic literature, prophecy, and revelation is causing me to see my own resemblance of visions. I woke up this morning and recalled having a strange dream or vision of some kind during the night. Although I guess it is possible that I just hit my head a little too hard in my sleep. Nevertheless, I will do my best to relay this revelation including some small additions from further reflection.

In the second year (of graduate school), in the sixth month on the eighth day, while I was participating in the week intensive Revelation course, there came to me a vision in my sleep (although one might not be so brave as to proclaim this vision is from God via the mouth of Jesus, as in other prophetic revelations—I don’t know, I'll leave it for you to decide).

I looked up and there before me was a town square. The streets were filled with all sorts of people—men, women, and children representing many different ethnicities. I walked down the street and all the people were bustling with energy and excitement. Then, up the street to my right came Michael Jordan. There was something different about him though. As he came closer I realized that he was 15ft taller than the rest of the people gathered around. He was a giant. Everyone flocked toward him and with utter amazement they proclaimed, “Can you believe it, there’s Michael Jordan!” Some reached out just in hopes of brushing against him.

I decided to move on and continued down the street and around the corner. It didn’t take long before a large shadow crossed my path. I looked out ahead of me but was slightly blinded by the sun behind him. As he approached I heard the squeals of recognition, “Brad Pitt!” The crowd clamored excitedly attempting to get closer to him. Beyond him was Julia Roberts and over to the left was Brett Farve and behind him Tiger Woods. All of them towered over the crowds, standing at least 20 ft. tall. Many stared in amazement and admiration of these people with such great talents and accomplishments.

I left the square and continued through a local neighborhood where I passed a mother and father playing with their children in the front yard. Further down the road on the left was a school and there a teacher stood outside teaching her students under a tree. I looked around and the crowds of people were nowhere to be seen. Then I continued to the end of the street, around the bend and back toward town. Up ahead I came upon a small church building. The minister waved at me from the parking lot and I acknowledged his greeting but kept my course. Finally, I reached the town square and it seemed even more crowded and boisterous than before. People were still laughing and conversing about the events of earlier that day seemingly waiting to catch another glimpse of someone so worthy of honor and praise. As I walked with my head down and made my way back to the place I began I nearly bumped head on into a man. He looked very familiar to me but I could not quite recognize his face. Suddenly, I realized who it was--it was Jesus. I quickly turned around to greet him but he was already gone and it was painfully obvious that no one else in the busy streets saw him either.

So, there it is, as clear as mud. I realize it is quite a strange vision and I don't know quite what to make of it but I think I have some ideas. Maybe you might have some suggestions. I just hope this class isn't making me crazy! And, don't worry, I'll be sure to give an update on any future visions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike...what did you eat for supper? Maybe it was my orange-pineapple ice cream! :) ~Debbie